Looking for a few easy and on-the-fly educational activities to do with your toddlers? While there are no-doubt scores of wonderful ideas out there, here are a few no-fuss, no-muss favorites that we can jump into at a moment’s notice.
And the best part? Most of these activities use items you already have in your home and many take little to no prep time on your part.
Here they are, our current “Top 10” go-to activities. Simply click on the links provided for more details…
1. Color Shape Match – Lots of ways to modify this fun color matching activity using stuff from around the house.
2. What’s in the Bag – Have a pillowcase handy? Help develop early math skills with a fun sensory game.
3. Jam Session – Just turn on the radio (or TV to a music channel) and open the box of noise-makers.
4. Straw Hockey – Oodles of fun with just a straw and some cotton balls. (Good for oral muscle tone, too!)
5. Family Flip Book – Learn family members’ names with a quick homemade album.
6. Letter of the Day – A new letter for each day of the month.
7. Wait, Wait…Go! – Fun with blocks or boxes to learn the concept of “Wait!” and “Go!”
8. Tunnel Fun – Let them find their adventurous side with some homemade tunnel exploration.
9. Chip Drop – Work those fine motor skills, and re-use those old “puff” containers while you are at it!
10. Stop! Go! Drum! – Easy after-dinner family jam session to work on the concept and signs for “Stop!” and “Go!”
Finally, here are a few other great sites full of toddler learning activities and much more: